Labels

Sunday 12 May 2013

The life of a Chicken

So I got to spend time with some chicks..... and chickens. Many a times, I have wondered what the purpose of my life is and I am still seeking answers. Ask a chicken why it was born? It was born to be eaten. It was born to die. It was born for doom. There is never hope for chickens. Poor things. If they could speak, what would they say?

So I was at a poultry farm taking some pictures and I was taken to this large farmhouse kind thing where literally thousands of chicks were happily roaming around. It's better if I explain with pictures.




Old Mac Donald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O...
And on that farm he had some chicks, E-I-E-I-O
With a chick chick here, and a chick chick there,
Everywhere a chick chick chick
Old Mac Donald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O

ADMIT IT, YOU JUST SANG THIS IN YOUR HEAD.



Look at them, minding their own business, if you walk towards them, they run away and settle in one place, and if you approach them again, they run away as a group. Such harmless lovely chicks. It's so fluffy! 


There is water on that orange holder thingy and the floor is full of grains.
 All the chick does at this stage of its life is eat grains, drink water and shit on the ground. And oh yes, it makes a lot of noise too.

One chick taking a break from hectic office schedule and meeting its colleagues
near the water dispenser. They basically gossip.

The chicks live like this happily for sometime and then they move to a different house. You have to be careful when you walk around or you might squish them. they are tiny little things.

It's the same story here, except they are becoming chickens now.
The difference here is that, these chickens don't run away when you approach them. They are a bit lazy to move and most of them usually nap. but if ou are trying to get hold of them, they might escape.

Chickens doing chicken stuff.

 Then time passes again. The chickens have no idea what is going to happen next. Sometimes.... actually at most times, I live a chicken's life. I was young, then I grew up. I have no idea what I am doing with my life. Absolutely aimless. I find so much similarity with that of a chicken's life. Except I know I won't be eaten. Or will I be? If the phrase 'what goes around, comes around' is true, then I should be eaten by a chicken. Plus, I believe in Karma.

Auditioning for the role of bats.

 Seriously, That's what these adult chickens are told. Christopher Nolan is making his fourth Batman movie, 'The Darkest Knight'. And for that, these chickens have to train as bats. 

PETA is not going to like this.
Did I tell you that this place stinks. Man, i'm teary eyed now. We all know what is going to happen next. In a parallel universe, I can imagine human beings being hung upside down like this by chickens.

Chicken 1: "Wait a minute?, Is that blood on the wall?"
Chicken 2: "Nah, It's tomato ketchup. Why would they want to kill us?"

This is the sad part. Until they reach that butcher there, they have no idea what's going on. Maybe they have no idea what 'Death' means.

:-(

He cuts at super speed. He is 'the man who killed a million chickens'.
And that's it. The keep moving on this hanging belt to the next section where the feathers are skinned and cleaned.

Hanging guts


That is the end of its life. Do I sense guiltiness? Did any of you actually feel guilty? After seeing this, I am seriously considering becoming a vegetarian, again. It is hard for me to give up on shawarma, KFC and McDonalds. But looks like I have to. Because deep inside, I am feeling guilty. I don't know why? Don't ask me. I know that me becoming a vegetarian is not going to save these chicken's from pain. But it's just a weird feeling that I have right now.

A chicken's life is hard. Even after death.

The chicken is cleaned, frozen, processed and packaged.


And that's the end of the story. You all know what happens next. You buy it from the market, make a superb Chicken Curry or a Biriyani on a Sunday and have a delicious lunch. Man is a wild animal. Next week, I bring you goats, sheep and then cows. 

P.S - Be a veggie, or those tiny yellow fluffy chicks will haunt you.


No comments:

Post a Comment