Labels

Monday 2 September 2013

Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust

From the minute we are born till the moment we die, we live with a disease that is called life. But it is a wonderful disease. The only one of it's kind. This disease gives you joy, pain laughter, sadness, love, hate and a mixture of other emotions. Lord Shiva besmears ashes on his body from burnt human dead bodies. Because from dust we are born and in dust we end. Thus Hindus follow the tradition of besmearing their forehead with holy ash, which is usually burnt wood (vibuthi) to remind themselves that whoever they are today, tomorrow they will return to ashes. So keep that ego under check.

I am here today, alive and wondering what the purpose of life is? Everywhere I look, there is sadness, might be my state of mind. The more I try to attract positivity, a huge wave of negativity washes over like a massive wave crushing a sand castle. But I've learned to live with it and don't care anymore. People in general appear very annoying to me these days and I want to be left alone. I see people trying to get to the top crushing the one's below them, I see humanity hiding under a veil of ego and false power. I see people who only know to criticise, whatever happened to encouragement? What is the race for? I see people looking down on others. The less fortunate being treated harshly. And by less fortunate, I don't mean the poor. Someone working under you is treated like dirt and nobody wants to stand up to it. I see jealousy, fake smiles and pure hatred. Call me schizophrenic, but I am not imagining things. Why is everyone so status hungry?

Simplicity is dead. In today's society you have to be someone powerful, someone well qualified, someone rich, to be respected. Isn't that the way we are brought up. Study well or you'll end up being a mechanic or a bus driver. Sad. Mother's bragging about their children, "my son got 99.99999% in his boards and admission in the best medical college". Who cares? Really, I don't. Honestly, I think driving a bus is more fun.

After college, you find a job, maybe not of your choice, but something to live on with. You are bound to find some asshat who comes along and brags, "so, this is what you've become now?" and gives you a pathetic look. And it does not end there. Goes on to explain that his son is the chief engineer of the world's greatest company earning on par with Bill Gates and has five passports and permanent residence in all the countries of the world. How should I react? Should I build a shrine for this son and offer rose garlands?

You have to keep performing till you die. For whom? After a lot of deep thinking, I've accepted the harsh realities of life. Sometimes you will have it all, sometimes no matter how hard you try, things won't come your way because it wasn't meant to be. No amount of motivating and philosophical quotes will change the scenario. A lot of people have made compromises to just barely live life whether they like it or not. We hear a lot of success stories. But do you hear failure stories? I know a lot of hard working and dedicated people who never made it to the top.  

Life isn't always fair. And it does not matter. Once you find your zen, everything becomes an illusion. The power, the fame, the respect, the status, the esteem, the honour, the wealth and a billion other things will vanish. In this world it is very difficult to find like minded people. If you find them, don't let them go. But until you find them, we all have to wear that fake mask. The trick in life is to find the one beneath the mask.

My mind will be restless until I find true happiness and my purpose of life here on earth. And if I think true happiness is wealth, fame and power, then I am doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment