Labels

Sunday 23 June 2013

Reality show cruelty?

So I'm just lazing around switching channels watching TV and I come across some reality shows, singing, dancing and display of talents etc. The elimination round was going on. So they call up two teenagers at a time who have gone through several rounds of singing and the judges will select one and eliminate the other. All selected ones will go to the next round or level, whatever they call it. We are talking about 10-15 year olds. 

They stand in front of the judges waiting to hear their results. Nervous and anxious. As they announce the name of the selected and the eliminated. One is extremely happy, the other one obviously sad. This kind of infuriates me and so this rant.

Now how can you be happy and jump with joy when the person standing next to you is going through perhaps a heartbreak? The winner runs out screaming in joy and hugs their kin while the sad loser is walking behind, all in slow-mo.

I don't understand. Am I the only one missing something here? You can't be happy when someone standing next to you is sad. I know this is a competition and shit. Yes, I agree, in a 100 metre, the winner does not feel for the person who came last, Michael Phelps would not have come first if he thought the swimmers in the competition deserved to win too. When India won the world cup, not a single Indian felt sad because Sri Lanka lost. The guy who got 1st rank in class never even knew my name, because I never got a rank as I flunked in a few subjects. Of course there can be only one winner and I am aware of the phrase, 'May the best one win'. We all compete to succeed. We want to be the best and we need to excel. But in this case, I fail to comprehend.

Why on earth do you need to call people in pairs and announce the result. Okay fine, if you do so, can the winner at least hug the person who just lost? Yeah they do that, I've seen it before. But to the majority of those who just jump in joy and run away, calm down. It looks ugly on screen. Yeah, I know I'm the only one complaining here. Call me douche-bag.

It's the same on all shows. I was watching some mom's special dance talent show. Again, they come in pairs, then announce the winner and loser. With age, you mature. But no! It's the same, the loser walks away unnoticed. The winner is screaming in joy as if she won a billion dollars, she does not even look at the other contestant.

I am no mr. nice guy here, but it's just that you go through a lot of effort and training together and after days or months, one of the participant gets eliminated, show some sympathy. Jump in joy later. Both sang well, both danced gracefully, there was only a small tiny gap between deciding who was superior.  But yeah, I'm just saying, I felt sad to see the kid crying. Now let me go and hug my pillow and drench it with my tears.

Watch this video, one of my favourites!




No comments:

Post a Comment