Labels

Thursday 21 February 2013

Elevator - Short Story #3


My flat was on the second floor of an old 10-storey building. I am 16 years old now. Back when I was really young, my building was quite okay. But then it started to get infested with cockroaches, the pipes leaked, the paint started wearing off and there was this dampness in every room and I don’t know why. My mom has been urging my dad to move out to a better place. Poor dad, he’s been waiting for his promotion for the past two years. “Soon things will change”, would always be his optimistic reply to my mom’s constant nagging. I didn't really mind. Half the time, I was in school, then tuition  and then by the time I came home, I’d be dead tired. I would have dinner and go straight to bed. I was even getting used to the cockroaches. Initially I used to swat them with my slippers, as days passed I began to shove them away from me only to find them returning 5 minutes later. 

My building had two lifts in the lobby and a staircase. The stairs don’t have a single bulb lit in them and they are never used by anyone. I've never been to the terrace or any floor higher than the 2nd for quite a long time. There is a reason for this.

When I was 6 years old, I wandered off from the lobby and entered a vacant lift. I pressed 2, but the lift did not stop at two, it went straight to 10 and opened. I stepped out for a moment. If my parents had found out I had gone all the way up without an adult, I’d get nice spankings. I was just standing there on the corridor, when an old woman opened her main door and came out. She wore an apron and seemed normal to me. She walked towards me and smiled. Pinching my cheeks, she asked for my name. I gladly gave it. She invited me in to her house and told me she had just finished baking a banana cake. And I could really smell banana from her house, like those banana bubble gums. It was a strong smell and it filled my nose. I told her I should be going back to my mom, she refused to let me go and shoved me into her house and locked the door. “I will take you to mommy, try my banana cake small boy.” The house had no furniture and that seemed strange. But this smell of banana was overwhelming and I was starting to feel sick.

What happened after changed my life. The woman removed her apron, threw it on the floor. I was facing her back ready to follow her into the kitchen. She turned back, her face expressing anger, eyes fiery red and from nowhere she seemed to have a thousand wrinkles on her face. She caught me by my neck and tightened her grip. “How many times have I told you, how many times?” she was screaming at me. “You won’t let me rest huh? You won’t let an old lady sleep huh?” I was gasping for breath and tears started rolling down my cheeks. “You need to be punished, you young disrespectful brat.” I fainted. That was my first blackout ever.

When I woke up, mom and dad were standing next to me. I was in a hospital. A huge but scary teddy bear holding a heart was sitting next to me. Mom was in tears and dad was consoling her. I felt fine until mom saw me and kissed me all over my face.

Years passed and I almost forgot about my childhood incident. A teenager has other issues to worry about. But I made sure I never visited the 10th floor again. I never found out what happened the other day. Life went on.

Then it all came back. It was a Sunday evening and I was returning after a date with my girlfriend. I pushed the call button and waited thinking about my first kiss. The lift opened, I stepped in and pushed 2. I was smiling and I was in love. Things changed so quickly. The lift didn't stop at 2. I realized this when a something in me went ‘RED ALERT MODE’. It was taking too long for the lift to reach 2nd floor. When I looked up, it was 4, then 5 and I kept pressing 2, then ‘STOP’ button, nothing happened.

6…

7…

I pressed the Emergency bell, nothing at all. My adrenaline kicked in and so did some sense. I pressed 9.

8…

The 9th floor button was lit. I was praying. “Oh please stop at 9, stop at 9.”

9…

Didn't stop,

10 and then a ping sound.

I was sweating and scared to death. All my childhood memories of the event came back. The corridor had no lights. Not a single one and it was pitch black. I pressed 2. Kept pushing the button, the damned lift doors would not close. Looked like the lift broke down. The doors were wide open as if asking me to step out.

Then I heard a door open. And the corridor filled with a familiar smell. Banana. My heart was thumping hard. I knew it was a matter of seconds before I had to see what I didn't want to see.

I got an idea, when you are in danger, your brain works at super sonic speed. The staircase door was just next to the lift, all I had to do was get out and turn right and head straight for the stair doors.

I had no time to think anymore, by impulse, I stepped out and as I was about to open the stair doors hoping it would be unlocked, I got a glimpse of a shadowy figure approaching. Even in the dark, I knew exactly what it was. The banana smell was even stronger now.

I pushed open the stair doors, more darkness. But I ran, ran all the way down. Sprinting the stairs hoping I wouldn't crash down fracturing a leg. I took several flight of stairs at once. I ran till I was gasping for breath. I had run all the way to ground floor in a matter of minutes. Did not realize I had passed the second floor.

I was so relieved to see light, to see people staring at me with a concerned look. I had no balls to take the lift to my floor again. I was panting and no words came out.  Took a few breaths. Struggling for words, I told the watchman who looked pale now to get my dad from the house.

In two minutes both dad and mom were down looking severely upset and shocked. They were asking me what was wrong. I was in tears now, “Please, just take me home.. take me home.” A crowd had gathered by now.

This time I was accompanied by my parents and the watchman who had no idea what was going on? Once at home, I gulped down a bottle of water. My mom was in tears now and dad was demanding an explanation. In my head, I was thinking no one would believe what I had to say. I kept quiet. I told them I was feeling fine now and wanted to rest. “I just got scared, I will speak tomorrow. I need to sleep.” Dad was not convinced, “Did you have a fight? Did anyone get hurt? Tell me, what happened?” I assured him everything was fine now, “I need to rest, please, I need privacy.” Saying this, I went to my room and locked from the inside. I heard a lot of murmuring outside.

I went to bed and fell asleep. The next morning at breakfast I told them what happened. Both mom and dad were just staring at me the whole time. Never said a single word. I was dreading they would now take me to a psychiatrist. I didn't go to school that day. I didn't step out of my house. In the evening when dad came home, he told us we were shifting to a new house in two days.

I never boarded the lift alone. Even while moving my stuff. My new house is a villa. No lifts. Just two floors. A few months later I overheard a conversation between mom and dad. “The old hag had died the night when we found him unconscious”, said dad. “I don’t want to talk about it, our son had nothing to do with her death”, mom was sulking. “He may have discovered the body, that’s why he fainted. He’s just scared. This is all past tense now. Don’t ever let him know.” My dad replied, “Like I have any desire to tell him, why would I traumatize him. It’s all over now.”

I didn't sleep for a few nights. The last I heard about the building was when my dad informed it had been torn down. “Rest in Peace, Bitch.” That’s all I thought of.


No comments:

Post a Comment